I40 - Newbury Race Course (August 27th 2010)

The Uk's largest lans, annually attended by ourselves.

Re: I40 - Newbury Race Course (August 27th 2010)

Postby Keli » Thu May 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Im a girl . . . . going to i series . . . . and im always getting it on with McLovin!
Keli

Postby lancew » Thu May 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Drax is BYOBing...
The stats might be aweful, but they're mine.
lancew

Postby Keli » Thu May 13, 2010 8:25 pm

No, I am BYOBing ;)
Keli

Postby Dash » Fri May 14, 2010 10:21 am

Keli wrote:Im a girl . . . . going to i series . . . . and im always getting it on with McLovin!

McLovin is my nickname at work. :o
Total Oblivion Staff - Administrator
Dash
Admin

Postby Dash » Thu May 27, 2010 11:29 pm

I have now moved the seats around slightly. The only person left who needs to be moved is Xanther Wolf).

Wolf Please move yourself up next to Lance.
Dash
Admin

Postby Xantherwolf » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm moved!

And you now manage my seat Dash.

Ta!
Xantherwolf

Postby Immolator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Hey lads, afraid i wont be sitting with you guys for this LAN as my css team have asked me to move next to them to make it easier for the tourny etc but i will still be wearing the T-shirt and ive just bought starcraft2 so if its not conflicting with matches i will get some games with you guys.
Immolator

Postby lancew » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:05 pm

Still coming to the meal?

Will be good to see you fella.
lancew

Postby Nojjy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:38 pm

That sucks, what team you playing with now?
Nojjy

Postby Dash » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Well don't be a stranger Immo ( and once you guys get knocked out you can come and hang out with the cool people again :D )
Dash
Admin

Postby Immolator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Playing with a team called Stimulus, decent bunch of lads and up for a laugh but yeah, if they're not keening it up on thursday night ill come out to the meal but ill defo come and visit :D
Immolator

Postby snowwhite » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:56 am

I know this might be a bit early, but I'm starting to get together a mental "what to bring", or more likely "what not to forget" list.

First thing I hadn't thought much about was security of my PC/monitor when we're not there. Peripherals (mouse, keyboard, headphones, etc.) I will be sticking my bag and taking away with me every night, not a problem. My PC and monitor on the other hand are a bit more of a pain to be moving all the time. A lot of the forums recommend those Kensington locks, which are perfect if anyone is after something to secure their PC.

After a quick look at my case, and subsequently in the shed, I'm going to take advantage of the water cooling in and out grommets on the back of my case. I'm sure most of our cases have these, they are nice sized holes with rubber push throughs in them. I have an old coil wire type bike lock that I'm going to loop through these grommets, then up to my monitor (stand has a cable tidy bit which is perfect for this), and hopefully around something else (probably the table) to keep everything locked down. This is quick, easy, and costs me nothing. I'm posting this so hopefully this will spark a couple of you guys to think about what you could do for that added security without any cost or hassle.

The other thing is case panels being removed, some of your cases will have security tabs that stick through the end of your side panel with a hole to put a small lock through, I'm not so lucky. I'm looking into security case screws, can get some nice ones from Kustom PC for about £6.50, still considering this.

Cable ties can be extremely useful as a deterrent; someone has to come prepared to deal with them. They will probably be enough discouragement for them to just try and target a different computer.

I know this is a bit of a pessimistic approach, and the "security" posts on the multiplay forums are full of people saying nothing ever gets stolen, but there are also the odd posts that pop up with people saying they've had laptops, wallets, phones, keys, mice, keyboards, monitors and whole PCs stolen. We have a huge advantage that we're in a big group, we're all going to be looking out for each other, and there will probably only be a few hours during the night when no-one we know will be there, just something to keep in mind really :)
snowwhite

Postby lancew » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:15 am

Your going a lttle over the top.

The kensington locks are fine, Cable ties work a charm on peripherals. Remember if you can take your stuff away every night someone could take it away just as easily when your away for lunch. The real trick is to simply lock everything down tight when you get there and leave it i'd say.

Once most people go to bed security have less people to watch. They got a pair last time.

BUT your right it is very important to remember to secure your stuff.

Oh and talk to other people around. The one person left at night it all it takes to tell someone not to touch your computer. Security included.

But guys, seriously though. Bring a cool box. Remember my tastey cold red bulls last year :D
Last edited by lancew on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lancew

Postby snowwhite » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:00 am

I don't think I'm going 'VERY over the top' at all. A kensington lock is just a scaled down version of a bike lock, but I have a bike lock laying around, like I'm sure some of you guys would have too. Multiplay recommend that you take away as much as possible with you at night. And remember that multiplay take no responsibility at all for security. So if a £3 mouse mat or a £3k computer gets stolen then its all down to you, you will get nothing from them. And don't think it would be covered on your parent contents insurance either, one mention of an organised event and its not covered, which is nice.

I know I'd sleep better at night knowing my stuff is a bit safer, and I don't even want to imagine what I'd be like if my stuff got stolen.
snowwhite

Postby lancew » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Very true. See amended post :P

Anyone up for doing the aqua tuning water fight?
lancew

Postby Dash » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

I have the Kensington lock for the monitor/pc. I will probably do the same trick as last time by threading the peripheral cables inside the PC (through the water cooling ports) and cable-tying them inside before locking the case. Only issue I get is that my headset has breakaway leads, so I'll take the headset back to my tent with me in the evenings.
Dash
Admin

Postby lancew » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm may bring a safe that will fit a few sets of headphones inside with me, as I have the same headset (Not that thats over the top)

I just need to see if I can get the kensington lock through the screw holes.
lancew

Postby lini » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:04 pm

I hadnt even thought about this, Ive got those water cooling holes, going to see if weve got a lock of some kind to lock the pc down, how do you attack the monitor at the same time? I can just see me losing the keys and having to hack saw multiplay's table in half on the last night...
lini

Postby Dash » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:44 pm

lini wrote:I hadnt even thought about this, Ive got those water cooling holes, going to see if weve got a lock of some kind to lock the pc down, how do you attack the monitor at the same time? I can just see me losing the keys and having to hack saw multiplay's table in half on the last night...

All LCD screens will have a small rectangular hole on the back to fit the Kensington type locks. They are only a few quid and probably worth getting one for future lans etc.
Dash
Admin

Postby Nojjy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Locking it is fine, but where do you attach it? I had a Kensington lock for my old laptop but you could hardly tie it to the table as people can just lift the leg slightly and slide it off.

I guess at the very least it works as a deterrent!

I will probably just not bother and cross my fingers like I did previously - hopefully they supply cable ties again for mass cable tie tangleage. It's an awesome tactic especially when you realise on Monday no one has any scissors or knifes on them and your fux0red
Nojjy

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplay iSeries Lans