FYI

General chat that doesn't concern gaming

FYI

Postby Bonius » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:06 pm

The new Pendulum album is completely badass. Won't be long 'til I get my first ticket for public disturbance!

(It's called Immersion for those of you that haven't heard them before)

Here's a quick taste:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPB7uzKuh4
Total Oblivion Staff - Administrator

Greasemonkey of the TS3 server. Having an issue with the server? Give me a PM!
Bonius
Admin

Re: FYI

Postby FattyMcGee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:25 pm

From 0:37 to 0:47 I got a weird 80s feel before it kicked in, off to a good start!

I can't say I've listened to much from In Silico(not mad about the few songs I have heard) but I love Hold your Colour so will have to see how this turns out.
FattyMcGee

Postby Tyrfing » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Bah! they are nothing compaired to the bands I will enjoy live in aug,
Here's a taste for you all ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xEYz74b ... re=related
“Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.”
Tyrfing

Postby PLightstar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:54 am

Have they gone back to Hold Your Colour style or are they still following Kerrang style like with In Silco. Their music has gone down hill since their last album, remember watching them at Plymouth Student Union with Dash was a great night, years and years ago.

Guybrush: I'm on a whole new adventure.
Bart: Growing a mustache?
Guybrush: No. Bigger than that.
Bart: A beard?!?
PLightstar

Postby Bonius » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:11 pm

I'd say they've evolved a step from In Silico, but I doubt they'll ever go back to Hold Your Color and the ones before that. Personally I quite like their new sound!

Greasemonkey of the TS3 server. Having an issue with the server? Give me a PM!
Bonius
Admin

Postby snowwhite » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:21 am

I'd say they have moved towards a more traditional band sound now, wanting to be able to replicate their songs live has meant they're unable to rely on beat generators and effects as much. Have been listening to this on and off for 6 weeks or so (it came out quite early on the web!) and its not a patch on Hold Your Colour for my tastes, but if you liked In Silico then you'll probably like this too.
snowwhite

Postby Dash » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:22 pm

snowwhite wrote:I'd say they have moved towards a more traditional band sound now, wanting to be able to replicate their songs live has meant they're unable to rely on beat generators and effects as much. Have been listening to this on and off for 6 weeks or so (it came out quite early on the web!) and its not a patch on Hold Your Colour for my tastes, but if you liked In Silico then you'll probably like this too.

Have only heard one of their new tracks so far whic hwas a house track (not Drum & Bass) which started off predictable then ended up rather interesting toward the end. I'm afraid Snow is most likely to be right that since they want to be more of a live band these days they need to release stuff they can actualyl play live if they are going to be successful touring and getting known to a wider audience. For me they'll probably never release another album as good as Hold Your Colour, which is the best Drum & Bass album I have ever heard (distinctive and original but not too commercial).
Dash
Admin

Postby snowwhite » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:27 pm

To further this point Dash, tracks like Set Me On Fire are distinctly dubstep to me, the likes of Under the Waves and Immunize are more d'n'b, but Crush, Comprachicos and Self vs Self (featuring some dude from the band In Flames) are very rock band, to the point they sound like a d'n'b remix of rock song. Encoder is just out and out wierd, not that its not enjoyable :D

I know Pendulum have always set out to follow their own sound, and obviously they're free to do as they wish, but god I miss their proper d'n'b sound :(
snowwhite

Return to Offtopic